Products - Microarray Tools - Microplate Shipping Cassettes to Protect Microarray Samples Stored and Shipped in 96-Well and 384-Well Microplates
ArrayIt® Microplate Shipping Cassette is an advanced hardware solution for the sealing, storage and shipping of microplate samples. The Microplate Shipping Cassette accommodates one 96-well or 384-well microplate. A sealing gasket and thumb screws provide an air tight seal, allowing the transportation of liquid samples in non-pressurized cargo compartments. Ideal for shipping DNA and protein samples by express mail and for biochemical and chemical reactions requiring an air-tight seal.
Table of Contents
- Quality Control
- Product Description
- Technical Assistance
- Short Protocol
- Ordering Information
Congratulations on taking a big step towards improving the affordability, quality and speed of your genomic, proteomic, biomedical, pharmaceutical and agricultural research. This handbook contains all the information required to take full advantage of Arrayit's ArrayIt® brand Microplate Shipping Cassette. Whether you’re a student or a seasoned researcher, the Microplate Shipping Cassette will add tremendous value to your scientific endeavors.
Arrayit takes every measure to assure the quality of our ArrayIt® brand Microarray products. The finest manufacturing procedures were used to produce this device. Rigorous quality control monitoring guarantees that each device conforms to the highest industry standards.
The need for the Microplate Shipping Cassette (MPSC) derived from the expansion of our Flex Chips Microarray Services, which requires high-throughput transportation of delicate aqueous samples including those used in custom printing of protein microarrays. Standard foil lids seal microplates efficiently at ambient barometric pressures, but non-pressurized cargo containers pop foil lids, causing sample spilling and cross contamination, particularly if the samples are not shipped frozen. Proteins and other labile samples that are damaged by freezing and thawing require shipping in the liquid phase, and the MPSC is ideal for the shipping and storage of such ssamples. Arrayit's ArrayIt® brand Microplate Shipping Cassette provides users with the highest quality, most advanced shipping and storage technology available. Users will appreciate the following features:
- Holds one (1) standard 96-well or 384-well microplate
- Maintains constant atmospheric pressure when shipped in non-pressurized cargo areas
- Prevents changes in pressure and popping of adhesive seals
- Prevents loss of sample volume and cross-contamination
- Allows aqueous sample shipping including proteins, cells and other sensitive biomolecules
- Eliminates the need for sample freezing and dry ice
- Prevents evaporation of sample during storage at 4°C and –20°C
- Also useful for biochemical and chemical reactions requiring an air-tight seal
- Rugged aluminum construction
- Custom shipping cassettes available in stainless steel
- Good for >1,000 shipping cycles
- Anodized surface treatment prevents oxidation and out-gassing
- Cleanroom compatible
- Lightproof top protects light-sensitive samples
- Can be used with wet or dry ice
- Airtight and water-proof under pressurized and non-pressurized conditions
- Fits all standard 96- and 384-well microplates
- Internal dimensions: 12.8 x 8.6 x 1.4 cm (5.0 x 3.4 x 0.55 in.)
- External dimensions: 16.8 x 12.3 x 3.5 cm (6.6 x 4.8 x 1.4 in)
- Weight: 580 g (1.3 lbs)
Please contact us if you have any comments, suggestions, or if you need technical assistance. On the Internet, please visit http://arrayit.com. By electronic mail: email@example.com (subject heading "Shipping Cassette technical assistance"). By telephone: (408) 744-1331, Monday–Friday PST 9:00am - 4:30pm. Please remember that we want to hear about your successes!
1. Transfer samples to microplate.
2. Seal wells using adhesive foil seals.
3. Insert microplate into Shipping Cassette base.
4. Place the Shipping Cassette lid on top of the base.
5. Seal the Shipping Cassette lid thoroughly.
6. Ship the sealed Shipping Cassette to its destination.
7. Unpack the Shipping Cassette.
8. Centrifuge samples before removing adhesive foil.
9. Print samples or use as needed.
1. Transfer samples to microplate. Liquid transfer can be performed manually with pipettes, or with automated liquid transfer robots.
2. Seal wells using adhesive foil seals. Remove the protective backing and allow the foil seal to outgas for at least 10 minutes to remove volatile vapors that can contaminate biological samples (24 hours is preferable). Out-gassing should be performed in a low dust environment such as a laminar hood or cleanroom. Failure to outgas foil seals may compromise your biological samples. Place the out-gassed foil seal on top of the microplate and press down firmly across the entire area of the microplate, making certain every well is sealed (Fig. 1). Pressing down firmly around the entire periphery to seal the microplate (Fig. 1). Samples sealed in this manner are safe against dehydration for >30 days at room temperature.
3. Insert microplate into Shipping Cassette base. The sealed microplate should be inserted gently into the blue base of the Shipping Cassette, seated directly against the bottom of the base (Fig. 2).
Figure 1. Microplate with Adhesive Foil Seal. Shown is a Microplate with an Adhesive Foil Seal pressed down firmly on every well.
Figure 2. Sealed microplate inserted into Shipping Cassette base. Shown is a Microplate with an Adhesive Foil Seal being inserted carefully into the blue base of the Shipping Cassette.
4. Place the Shipping Cassette lid on top of the base. Place the black opaque lid on top of the blue base containing the sealed microplate, making certain to align the two red arrows on the top left side of the lid and base. If the arrows are not aligned, the lid cannot be sealed (please do not attempt this!). Make certain the six threaded screws are aligned with the threaded holes in the base of the Cassette.
5. Seal the Shipping Cassette lid thoroughly. Tighten all 6 screws by hand, moving around the Cassette in a clockwise manner (Fig. 3). Tighten all 6 screws again by hand, moving clockwise. Once all 6 screws are hand tight, tighten each by an additional quarterturn with a Phillip’s head screwdriver (Fig. 4). Screws should be tight but not over-tight. Tightening the screws excessively with a large screwdriver can damage the Shipping Cassette permanently. Please do not do this!
Figure 3. Tightening screws by hand. Tighten all 6 screws by hand as shown.
6. Ship the sealed Shipping Cassette to its destination. Place the Shipping Cassettes inside a sturdy box with packing materials such as bubbles or peanuts to minimize agitation. Ice packs can also be used to keep the samples cool during transit. Federal Express and other airline-based carriers work extremely well for transport.
7. Unpack the Shipping Cassette. Upon arrival, unpack the box containing the Shipping Cassette and discard the packing materials. Transport the Shipping Cassette into the laboratory. For cleanroom use, de-contaminate the exterior the Shipping Cassette with 100% ethanol and pure, forced air prior to moving the Shipping Cassette into the cleanroom.
8. Centrifuge samples before removing adhesive foil. Loosen the 6 screws by turning them counterclockwise by hand or with a screwdriver. Make certain all 6 screws are loosened fully before trying to remove the lid. Once the lid has been removed, remove the microplate containing the foil seal, and centrifuge the samples for 5 min at 500 x g to propel the samples into the bottom of the microplate wells. To avoid sample loss and contamination, do not remove the foil seal without centrifugation.
9. Print samples or use as needed. Microplates containing samples can be placed on the platen of a microarray robot or loaded into automation “hotels” for high-throughput microarray manufacture.
Figure 4. Tightening screws with a screwdriver. Tighten all 6 screws with a Phillip’s head screwdriver by one-quarter (1/4) turn beyond hand tight.
Recommended Equipment and Reagents
SpotBot® 3 Personal Microarrays
ArrayIt® InnoScan 710 Laser Scanners
SpotLight 2 Microarray Scanners
Hyb Cassettes 1x24 and 1x16
Super Microarray Substrates
Wash Buffers A-C and 1-3
*To order ArrayIt® Brand Products: call 408-744-1331, fax 408-744-1711, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or click on the purchase buttons above to proceed directly to the product page.
Price (US Dollars)*
Microplate Shipping Cassette
ArrayIt® Microplate Shipping Cassette for the sealing, storage and shipping of microplate samples, accommodates one 96-well or 384-well microplate, air tight seals allow the transportation of liquid samples in non-pressurized cargo compartments. Ideal for shipping DNA and protein samples by express mail and for biochemical and chemical reactions requiring an air-tight seal.
Microplate Adhesive Foil Seals
ArrayIt® adhesive foil seals for 96-well and 384-well microplate sealing prior to shipping. Use in conjunction with the Microplate Shipping Cassette, 100 foil seals per pack.
Shipping Cassette volume discounts:
Quantity 6-10, 5% discount
Quantity 11-20, 10% discount
Quantity 21-30, 15% discount
Quantity >30, 20% discount
*International pricing may vary as much as 30% (or more depending on country) due to import duties, stocking fees and technical support.
*Add shipping and handling to all orders.
ArrayIt® brand products have been scientifically developed and are sold for research purposes. Extreme care and exact attention should be practiced in the use of the materials described herein. All ArrayIt® brand products are subject to extensive quality control and are guaranteed to perform as described when used properly. Any problems with any ArrayIt® brand product should be reported to Arrayit immediately. Arrayit’s liability is limited to the replacement of the product, or a full refund. Any misuse of this product is the full responsibility of the user, and Arrayit makes no warranty or guarantee under such circumstances.
Copyright 1993-2017 Arrayit Corporation. All rights reserved.